At its annual organizational meeting, the Board of Education will elect a president and vice
president. Vacancies in Board officer positions shall be filled by holding another Board election
to fill the vacant positions.
Duties of the Board President
The president of the Board, in addition to duties prescribed by law, will exercise such powers as
properly pertain to the office according to Robert's Rules of Order, Revised. He shall have the
right, as other members of the Board, to offer resolutions, to discuss questions and to vote
thereon. The president will fulfill the responsibilities of his office as follows.
1. Preside, when present, at all meetings of the Board and be responsible for the orderly
conduct of such Board meetings.
2. Sign all legal documents as required by law which include all checks or warrants of items
ordered for payment by the Board, contracts approved by the Board, bonds and deeds of
conveyance issued by and/or for the district, and the district's annual financial statement.
The Board provides authorization for signatures to be affixed in facsimile.
3. Bring before the Board matters which, in his or her judgment, may require the attention
of the Board.
4. Appear on behalf of the Board in all actions brought by or against it, unless individually
a part, in which case this duty will be assigned by the Board.
5. Consult with the superintendent in planning agendas.
6. Confer with the superintendent on crucial matters that may occur between Board meetings.
7. Call special meetings of the Board, as found necessary.
8. Appoint special committees subject to the approval of the Board.
9. Act as public spokesperson for the Board unless this responsibility is delegated to others.
10. Perform any other duty formally allocated by the Board of Education, the Missouri State
Board of Education and/or the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary
Education or by legislative enactment.
Duties of the Board Vice President
It shall be the duty of the vice president of the Board to perform all the duties assigned to the
president in the event of the latter's disability or absence. The vice president shall also assume
other duties which the Board of Education may assign. In the absence of both the president and
the vice president, the treasurer shall call the meeting to order, and a president pro tempore shall
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this
section for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures
and/or forms for related information.
Legal Refs: §§ 162.051, .301, 164.191, 165.021, .111, .131, 168.101, .126, 177.091, RSMo.
Jefferson City School District, Jefferson City, Missouri
Top of Page