The purpose of the sick leave pool is to provide eligible employees, who have voluntarily chosen to
participate in the sick leave program, and who have or are suffering from catastrophic illnesses or
catastrophic injuries that substantially or entirely limit their ability to fulfill their employment duties
and obligations, with additional leave until a determination is made concerning their eligibility for
long-term disability coverage. The pool is not designed for absences for corrective procedures that
could be performed during non-school year months.
Catastrophic illnesses or catastrophic injuries are defined as a serious, extreme or life-threatening
illness, injury, impairment or physical or mental condition that has caused, or is likely to cause, the
employee to take leave without pay and keeps the employee from performing regular work duties
and/or fulfilling his/her employment obligations.
1. Participation in the sick leave pool is entirely voluntary.
2. Employees wishing to become a member must join the sick leave pool the first year they are
employed. This is a one-time election period. Refusal to join the pool at the first offering
forever excludes employees from joining the sick leave pool. Employees who were
employed prior to the 2007-08 school year are eligible to join the pool in 2007-08. This is
a one-time election period. Those employees who refuse to join at this time are forever
excluded from joining the sick leave pool.
3. Employees choosing to participate are to contribute two (2) days of accumulated sick leave
in the initial year of membership in the pool.
4. A contribution of one (1) additional day each year will be required to maintain membership.
5. The sick leave pool committee may waive the requirement for the annual contribution if, in
the committee's judgment, the number of days remaining in the pool from the previous year
are deemed sufficient to meet the demands placed on the sick leave pool.
6. Employees drawing days from the pool must donate a minimum of five (5) days to the pool
in the following school year to remain eligible.
7. The sick leave pool committee may also request mid-year contributions if the number of days
remaining in the pool is not adequate to meet the demand on the sick leave pool from the
8. Withdrawal from the pool prohibits the employee from ever re-entering the pool.
Eligibility for Membership in the Sick Leave Pool
1. Only Jefferson City Public School employees who are eligible to accrue sick leave may
participate in the sick leave pool.
2. Only Jefferson City Public School employees who have completed five (5) years of
continuous employment with the district and five (5) years of continuous membership in the
sick leave pool are eligible to withdraw days from the pool. Employees who were members
of the sick leave pool prior to July 1, 2007, are eligible to draw days from the pool
3. New members must submit their applications to the Assistant Superintendent of Instruction's
office by October 1 of the school year in which they are seeking membership.
4. If a member of the sick leave pool withdraws from the program, sick days donated by the
member during the member's participation in the pool are removed from the pool and the
withdrawing member may not recoup remuneration for those voluntarily donated days.
Limitations Applicable to All Members
1. Under current district policy, extended sick leave policy provides for 20 days of absence at
the daily rate of the employee's pay, minus the daily rate of an entry-level employee with the
same job classification.
2. Under current district policy, long-term disability insurance coverage begins after 90
consecutive days of absence due to illness or accident.
3. A member becomes eligible to draw days from the sick leave pool only after exhausting all
of his or her already personally accumulated sick leave, vacation days, and extended sick
leave days for each extended illness.
4. Under no circumstances may members request or receive sick leave days from the sick leave
pool when the member becomes eligible for long-term disability coverage provided by the
5. Under no circumstances may members receive sick leave days from the sick leave pool when
the member has exhausted long-term disability coverage provided by the district.
Sick Leave Pool Committee Membership
The sick leave pool will be administered by a committee comprised of the following members:
► One (1) teacher from CTA/MSTA.
► One (1) teacher from CTA/MNEA.
► One (1) teacher from CTA/MAFT.
► One (1) teacher unaffiliated and appointed by the Superintendent of Schools.
► One (1) custodial/maintenance representative appointed by the Director of Buildings and
► One (1) secretary from JCPSAEOP.
► One (1) food service employee appointed by the Director of Food Service.
► One (1) administrator, namely the acting Assistant Superintendent for Instruction (Personnel
Decisions as to whether a member's illness or injury is to be deemed "catastrophic" under this policy
are to be made only by the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee.
Requests for Drawing Days from the Sick Leave Pool
Requests for days from the sick leave pool must: 1) be made in writing on the form provided; and
2) be accompanied by a physician's statement. Failure to perform either will deem the request
invalid and consideration will not be undertaken until properly submitted.
Each request will be considered based on the individual member's needs, nature of the catastrophic
illness/injury, and prior use of the sick leave pool. The number of sick leave days allowed shall not
exceed the number of days necessary for a determination of eligibility for long-term disability
insurance provided by the district. The sick leave pool shall retain the right to require a second
medical opinion under any and all circumstances.
* * * * * * *
In the event of a discrepancy between an administrative procedure and a Board policy, the Board
policy will take precedence.
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this section
for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures and/or forms for
Revised: 04/21/2003; 08/13/2007
Jefferson City School District, Jefferson City, Missouri
Top of Page