The Board of Education expects that each professional and support staff member shall put forth
every effort to promote a quality instructional program in the school district. In building a quality
program, employees must meet certain expectations that include, but are not limited to, the
1. Become familiar with, enforce and follow all Board policies, regulations, administrative
procedures, other directions given by district administrators and state and federal laws as they
affect the performance of job duties.
2. Maintain courteous and professional relationships with pupils, parents/guardians, other
employees of the district and all patrons of the district.
3. Keep current on developments affecting the employee's area of expertise or position.
4. Transact all official business with the appropriate designated authority in the district in a
5. Transmit constructive criticism of other staff members or of any department of the school
district to the particular school administrator who has the administrative responsibility for
improving the situation.
6. Care for, properly use and protect school property.
7. Attend all required staff meetings called by district administration, unless excused.
8. Keep all student records, medical information and other sensitive information confidential
as directed by law, Board policy, district procedures and the employee's supervisor.
9. Immediately report all dangerous building conditions or situations to the building supervisor
and take action to rectify the situation and protect the safety of students and others if
10. Properly supervise all students. The Board expects all students to be under assigned adult
supervision at all times during school and during any school activity. Except in an
emergency, no employee will leave an assigned group unsupervised.
11. Obey all safety rules, including rules protecting the safety and welfare of students.
12. Submit all required reports or paperwork at the time requested. Employees will not falsify
records maintained by the school district.
13. Refrain from using profanity in the school setting.
14. Dress professionally and in a manner that will not interfere with the educational
15. School employees, other than commissioned law enforcement officers, shall not strip search
students, as defined in state law, except in situations where an employee reasonably believes
that the student possesses a weapon, explosive or substance that poses an imminent threat
of physical harm to the student or others and a commissioned law enforcement officer is not
immediately available. Any strip search must be authorized by and supervised by a building
16. School employees shall not direct a student to remove an emblem, insignia or garment,
including a religious emblem, insignia or garment, as long as such emblem, insignia or
garment is worn in a manner that does not promote disruptive behavior.
17. State law prohibits teachers from participating in the management of a campaign for the
election or defeat of a member of the Board of Education that employs such teacher.
18. Employees will not use district funds or resources to advocate, support or oppose any ballot
measure or candidate for public office.
19. Employees will not use any time during the working day for campaigning purposes, unless
allowed by law.
20. Employees who are arrested for a criminal act, felony or misdemeanor, shall notify the
appropriate supervisor in writing within three working days following the arrest. In addition,
employees shall notify the appropriate supervisor within three working days following the
filing of a child abuse complaint against them. Traffic offenses related to driving under the
influence of drugs or alcohol will be considered a criminal arrest for purposes of compliance
with this policy.
* * * * * * *
In the event of a discrepancy between an administrative procedure and a Board policy, the Board
policy will take precedence.
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this section
for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures and/or forms for
Revised: 02/13/2006; 06/12/2012
Cross Refs: AC, Prohibition against Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation
CH, Policy Implementation and Dissemination
DCB, Political Campaigns
IGDF, Student Fundraising
JFG, Interrogations, Interviews and Searches
JO, Student Records
KI, Public Solicitations/Advertising in District Facilities
Legal Refs: §§ 115.646, 167.166, 168.114, .130, RSMo.
Jefferson City School District, Jefferson City, Missouri
Top of Page