The Board of Education recognizes that the personal welfare and the professional growth of its
employees may require occasional extended absences from duty. Therefore, the Board may grant
the following long-term leaves of absence under specified conditions.
A certificated staff member requesting educational leave shall direct the request for leave to the
office of the superintendent of schools not later than March 1 of the year prior to the year in which
the leave would be effective. Exception to this provision may be granted by the superintendent
of schools, if appropriate.
To qualify for educational leave, a certificated staff member must have served at least three
complete years in the district and must enroll full-time at the college or university of choice. The
granting of educational leave shall not prohibit a staff member from advancing on the salary
schedule (except that the year spent in educational leave shall not be counted in determining salary
schedule advancement), and shall not impair the tenure of a permanent teacher, or shall not
constitute a break in consecutive years of employment of a probationary teacher.
The duration of the educational leave shall be in keeping with the staff member's desire to return
to assignment, and the ability of the district to accommodate the vacant assignment in the schools,
except that the leave shall not be longer than one school year. Return to assignment will be
assured at the beginning of the school year next following the leave of the staff member.
The period spent on educational leave shall be without compensation or benefit being provided by
the school district.
The Board of Education may grant sabbatical leaves of absence to certified employees under the
1. The leave of absence shall be based upon an application by the employee and the
recommendation of the superintendent and shall not be granted for a period of longer than
one (1) year. The application shall clearly state the benefit to be derived to the district
employee and to the district (i.e. job performance upon return from leave).
2. The applicant shall have been a certified employee of the school district for not less than
six (6) consecutive years immediately preceding the application.
3. The teacher shall request the leave 90 calendar days prior to the end of the school year
preceding the leave period.
4. The Board of Education will not grant a sabbatical leave of absence unless the district is
able to find a satisfactory replacement for the teacher.
5. The number of leaves granted in any one (1) year shall be left to the discretion of the
Board of Education.
6. Upon the staff member's return to the school system, the employee shall be reinstated at
the proper position on the salary schedule, losing only that time during which regular
duties were not performed. The Board retains the right to reassign the teacher.
7. The leave of absence shall be without pay or benefits by the school district.
Military Leaves of Absence
The Board of Education will grant military leave as required by law and as described in Board
1. Pursuant to federal law, employment and re-employment rights shall be maintained for
periods of service up to five (5) years or more as required by statute.
2. Pursuant to state law, employees taking military leave are entitled to up to 120 hours of
paid leave for military duty. Pay will only be available for hours of military leave that
occur at a time when the employee would otherwise have been required to be at work.
3. Leaves for military service will not be counted as continuous full-time service when
computing tenure but shall not impair tenure previously acquired nor affect any credit
toward tenure previously earned.
4. After initial employment with the district, time spent on military leave shall be counted in
determining placement on the salary schedule.
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this
section for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures
and/or forms for related information.
Revised: 07/24/2000; 06/14/2004
Legal Refs: §§ 105.270, .271, 168.122, 169.595, RSMo.
16 C.S.R. 10-4.014
Uniformed Services Employment and Re-employment Rights Act of 1994
(USERRA), 38 U.S.C. §§ 4301 - 4333
Jefferson City School District, Jefferson City, Missouri
Top of Page