The district's comprehensive guidance program provides important benefits to all students at all
grade levels by addressing their personal, social, academic and career development needs. The
program is implemented in each attendance area and is considered an integral part of each school’s
educational program. It is implemented by certified school counselors with the support of
teachers, administrators and students. The Jefferson City School District guidance program will
adhere to the standards of the Missouri Comprehensive Guidance Program and strive to meet the
program goals in each of the following areas:
Personal and Social Development
1. Assist students in gaining an understanding of self as an individual and as a member of
diverse local and global communities by emphasizing knowledge that leads to the
recognition and understanding of the interrelationship of thoughts, feelings and actions in
students' daily lives.
2. Provide students with a solid foundation for interacting with others in ways that respect
individual and group differences.
3. Aid students in learning to apply physical and psychological safety and promoting the
student's ability to advocate for him- or herself.
1. Guide students to apply the skills needed for educational achievement by focusing on self-management, study and test-taking skills.
2. Teach students skills to aid them as they transition between grade levels or schools.
3. Focus on developing and monitoring personal education plans, emphasizing the
understanding, knowledge and skills students need to develop meaningful personal plans
of study. Personal plans of study will be initiated for all students no later than eighth
1. Enable students to apply career exploration and planning skills in the achievement of life
2. Educate students about where and how to obtain information about the world of work and
postsecondary training and education.
3. Provide students the opportunity to learn employment readiness skills and skills for on-the-job success, including responsibility, dependability, punctuality, integrity, self-management and effort.
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this
section for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures
and/or forms for related information.
Cross Refs: IL, Assessment Program
Jefferson City School District, Jefferson City, Missouri
Top of Page