The Board of Education expects that each professional and support staff member shall put forth
every effort to promote a quality instructional program in the school district. In building a quality
program, employees must meet certain expectations that include, but are not limited to, the
1. Become familiar with, enforce and follow all Board policies, regulations, administrative
procedures, other directions given by district administrators and state and federal laws as they
affect the performance of job duties.
2. Maintain courteous and professional relationships with pupils, parents/guardians, other
employees of the district and all patrons of the district.
3. Employees shall not in any way interfere with, restrain or coerce students in the exercise of
their right to further their educations, nor shall employees encourage students to support
actions which are in violation of Board policy.
4. Keep current on developments affecting the employee's area of expertise or position.
5. Transact all official business with the appropriate designated authority in the district in a
6. Transmit constructive criticism of other staff members or of any department of the school
district to the particular school administrator who has the administrative responsibility for
improving the situation.
7. Employees shall not interfere with, restrain or coerce other employees in the exercise of their
rights to refuse to engage in any of the activities which violate this policy.
8. Care for, properly use and protect school property.
9. Attend all required staff meetings called by district administration, unless excused.
10. Keep all student records, medical information and other sensitive information confidential
as directed by law, Board policy, district procedures and the employee's supervisor.
11. Immediately report all dangerous building conditions or situations to the building supervisor
and take action to rectify the situation and protect the safety of students and others if
12. Properly supervise all students. The Board expects all students to be under assigned adult
supervision at all times during school and during any school activity. Except in an
emergency, no employee will leave an assigned group unsupervised.
13. Obey all safety rules, including rules protecting the safety and welfare of students.
14. Submit all required reports or paperwork at the time requested. Employees will not falsify
records maintained by the school district.
15. Refrain from using profanity.
16. Dress professionally and in a manner that will not interfere with the educational
17. Come to work and leave work at the time specified by the employee handbook or by the
employee’s supervisor. Employees who are late to work, stop working before the scheduled
time or work beyond the scheduled time without permission may be subject to discipline,
18. School employees, other than commissioned law enforcement officers, shall not strip search
students, as defined in state law, except in situations where an employee reasonably believes
that the student possesses a weapon, explosive or substance that poses an imminent threat
of physical harm to the student or others and a commissioned law enforcement officer is not
19. School employees shall not direct a student to remove an emblem, insignia or garment,
including a religious emblem, insignia or garment, as long as such emblem, insignia or
garment is worn in a manner that does not promote disruptive behavior.
20. State law prohibits teachers from participating in the management of a campaign for the
election or defeat of a member of the Board of Education that employs such teacher.
21. Employees will not use district funds or resources to advocate, support or oppose any ballot
measure or candidate for public office.
22. Employees will not use any time during the working day for campaigning purposes, unless
allowed by law.
23. The Board also prohibits strikes, walkouts, slowdowns, work stoppages, picketing, thefts,
defacement or damage of property or any other related activity by any group of employees
acting singly or collectively, which interferes with the activities or operations of the school
district or the furtherance of the education of students enrolled in schools operated by the
Employees who violate any of the provisions of this policy may be subject to disciplinary action
which could lead to termination of employment.
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this section
for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures and/or forms for
Cross Refs: AC, Prohibition Against Illegal Discrimination and Harassment
CH, Policy Implementation and Dissemination
DCB, Political Campaigns
JFG, Interrogations, Interviews and Searches
JO, Student Records
KI, Public Solicitations/Advertising in District Facilities
Legal Refs: §§ 115.646, 167.166, 168.114, .130, RSMo.
North Kansas City School District, Kansas City, Missouri
Top of Page