Students will be eligible for graduation from high school after completing the graduation
requirements in Board policy IKF and eight (8) full semesters of course enrollment. Exception to
the eight-semester enrollment requirement may be made under certain circumstances, but only when
a special need exists, as outlined herein. Some examples of situation, wherein an exception to the
attendance requirement may be made by the school district are as follows:
A. The eight-semester attendance requirement may be reduced for pupils who cannot attend
school due to illness or physical disability when such conditions are certified by a physician.
Part of the graduation requirements may be met by these students through approved
correspondence courses or homebound instruction.
B. Students may apply to leave high school in less than eight (8) semesters if they have met the
1. Students must have a special need to leave high school in less than eight (8) years
and must have an appropriately planned educational experience in college, vocational
school, or on-the-job training for the remainder of their eight-semester attendance
2. The student must have completed the minimum units required by the Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and any additional units required by
the North Kansas City School District.
3. The parent or guardian must be interviewed by the counselor or principal and submit
signed approval for a student's participation in the activity.
4. The student must provide a statement signed by an admissions officer or employer
certifying acceptance into an approved activity.
Students meeting the above conditions to the satisfaction of the school officials may be permitted
to leave school before completing eight (8) semesters of attendance. A transcript shall be given to
each student showing the credits earned and the conditions under which a diploma will be granted
in the future.
Students successfully completing the approved, planned educational experience (as outlined above)
shall be eligible to receive their high school diplomas with their graduation class.
Any qualified student wishing to apply for a waiver of the eight-semester attendance requirement
may do so with his or her counselor after the junior year or before the second semester of the senior
Criteria for Determining "Special Need" for Early Graduation
A. On-the-job training, or apprenticeship program, or trade school:
1. The candidate must have a career goal before applying to graduate early.
2. The activity must provide appropriate preparation for the candidate's career goals.
3. The candidate should demonstrate aptitude for the activity by classroom achievement
and/or performance on a standardized test such as GATB, Armed Services
Vocational, Aptitude Test or DAT.
4. The student should present in written form his or her particular special need for
entering the planned activity.
1. The candidate must have completed an academic program with sufficient success to
gain admission into college.
2. The candidate must present in writing his or her particular special need for entering
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this section
for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures and/or forms for
North Kansas City School District, Kansas City, Missouri
Top of Page