Special Education Students
Placement decisions, including homebound placement, for students receiving services pursuant to
the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of
1973 (Section 504) will be made by the student's individualized education program (IEP) or 504
team. The content and method of instruction as well as the plan to transition the student back to
onsite services, if appropriate, will also be in accordance with the student's IEP or 504 plan. Other
than placement and instructional decisions covered by an IEP or 504 plan, provision of homebound
services will utilize the same procedures as for students without disabilities.
Students without Disabilities
The school principal or designee will determine the necessary services after consultation with
appropriate professional staff. All instruction must be meaningful and provided in a manner that
allows the student to continue to progress in the curriculum. At the onset of services, the school
principal or designee will develop a plan to transition the student back to onsite services when
appropriate. The transition plan will be re-evaluated after each grading period and adjusted as
Procedures for Provision of Homebound Instruction
1. Requests for homebound services will be made to the school principal along with
documentation from a medical provider if the request is based on a medical need.
2. The school principal will consult with teachers, counselors, nurses and other appropriate staff
as well as the student's parents/guardians regarding the request and will forward a
recommendation to the superintendent or designee. If, after consultation, the school principal
determines that the student meets the criteria for homebound instruction as outlined in Board
policy, he or she will recommend that homebound services be provided.
3. The superintendent or designee will secure the services of a qualified homebound instructor
4. The homebound student will be enrolled in and counted for attendance in the school where
onsite attendance would have been in accordance with rules adopted by the Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
5. The district's homebound instructor will consult with the student's parents/guardians to
determine the best time and location for instruction to occur. The district will not provide
services unless a parent/guardian or other person approved by the district is present.
6. Homebound instructors will keep a log of instructional time spent with the student and
submit the log to the superintendent or designee weekly.
7. Grades and credit will be awarded by classroom teachers in consultation with homebound
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to review policies and/or forms for related information in this
North Kansas City School District, Kansas City, Missouri
Top of Page