Members of the St. Charles R-VI School District Board of Education accept the responsibility to
improve public education in the St. Charles R-VI School District. To that end, all Board members
1. Remember that the first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of all
students attending the public schools.
2. Obey the laws of Missouri and the United States.
3. Recognize that individual Board members have no authority to speak or act for the Board.
4. Work with other Board members to establish effective Board policies.
5. Delegate authority for the administration of the schools to the superintendent.
6. Encourage ongoing communications between Board members and stakeholders.
7. Render all decisions based on the available facts and independent judgment rather than
succumbing to the influence of individuals or special interest groups.
8. Make every effort to attend all Board meetings.
9. Become informed concerning the issues to be considered at each meeting.
10. Improve boardmanship by studying educational issues and by participating in in-service
programs and training.
11. Support the employment of staff members based on qualifications and not as a result of
12. Maintain a process of regular and systematic assessment of the educational system, in order
to provide accountability for the school district.
13. Avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof.
14. Refrain from using their Board position for the benefit of family members, business
associates or themselves.
15. Express personal opinions but, once the Board has acted, accept the will of the majority.
16. Refrain from divulging confidential information presented during closed sessions, except
when required by law.
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this
section for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures
and/or forms for related information.
St. Charles School District, St. Charles, Missouri
Top of Page