On or before July 15 of each year, the Board shall elect a school district secretary, treasurer and
other Board officials deemed necessary and advisable. The Board will set the terms of service and
compensation. If either the secretary or treasurer is a member of the Board, compensation for
services may not be received. If not a member of the Board, reasonable compensation for services
may be received. Vacancies in Board officer positions shall be filled by Board election of
Duties of the Board Secretary
The secretary of the Board of Education shall perform or cause to be performed the following
1. Be present at all regular and special meetings of the Board, and special Board committee
meetings as requested by the committee chairman, in order to keep an accurate record of
2. Keep accurate record of Board member attendance at Board meetings.
3. Keep a complete and accurate record of all regular and special meetings of the Board of
Education, transcribe and type the official copy in the minutes book, and make copies of
the minutes for the superintendent and for each member of the Board.
4. Keep all records of the Board of Education in a fireproof vault or safe in the office of the
5. Notify all members of regular, executive or special meetings of the Board.
6. Post all notices required by law or when duly ordered by the Board.
7. Issue and/or sign all reports, orders and official documents when such are required by law
or duly ordered by the Board of Education.
8. Make and securely keep copies of election notices, contracts with teachers, certificates and
all other papers relating to the business of the district.
9. File a copy of all reports with the records of the district as required by law or by the Board
10. Secure the election results of all propositions submitted to voters and duly enter such
results in the district records. This shall include votes on tax levies, bond issues and other
issues placed before the voters. Issue certificates of election to newly elected Board
11. Forward a complete copy of the annual report to the Missouri Department of Elementary
and Secondary Education (DESE) at Jefferson City at the designated time.
12. Publish advertisements, requests for bids, etc., as ordered by the Board.
13. Make all reports required by law to DESE, the United States Department of Education and
other federal/state agencies.
14. Destroy canceled bonds and interest coupons in the presence of at least two (2) Board
members and two (2) other witnesses, and record in the books of the district a description
of the bonds so destroyed by noting the date issued and due date, the number and amount
of each bond, and the names of Board members and witnesses who were present at the
burning of the bonds.
15. Maintain a correct plat of the district and notify DESE and the county clerk of any
16. Certify copies of redistricting resolutions and plans.
17. Make attendance reports of any boundary changes to DESE and to the county clerk.
18. In the absence of both the president and vice president of the Board, the secretary shall call
a Board meeting to order and a president pro tempore shall be chosen.
19. Perform such additional functions as may be required by law or authorized by the Board
of Education, either directly or through the superintendent.
Duties of the Board Treasurer
The treasurer of the Board of Education shall perform or cause to be performed the following
1. Become the custodian of all school moneys derived from taxation for school purposes in
the district until paid out on the order of the Board.
2. Execute before entering the treasurer's duties a bond of security with two (2) or more
sureties, which shall be approved by the Board and payable to the Board, conditioned upon
the faithful discharge of the official duties of treasurer and in accordance with state law.
3. Receive and deposit promptly all moneys belonging to the district and pay out the same
upon order of the Board of Education.
4. Pay out money from district funds only by order of the Board upon checks signed by the
president and treasurer. The Board provides authorization for signatures to be affixed in
5. Draw checks upon the order of the Board of Education in favor of any party to whom the
district has become legally indebted. The checks are to be paid out of any moneys in the
appropriate funds in the hands of the treasurer and belonging to the district.
6. Serve as legal custodian of all bonds, moneys and other securities belonging to the school
7. Keep or cause to be kept complete, accurate and legal records of all moneys collected and
expended on Missouri uniform accounting forms.
8. Deliver to the Board of Education canceled bonds to be destroyed in compliance with the
9. Annually, not later than the first day of August, settle with the Board of Education and
account to the Board for all school moneys or funds received, from whom and on what
account they were received and the amount paid out for school purposes.
10. Present the annual settlement to the clerk of the county commission after its approval by
11. Submit a monthly report to the Board reflecting the current balance in district funds and
receipts for the preceding month.
12. Make other such reports as may be required by the Board.
13. Keep records available for inspection by the Board at all times.
14. Deliver to successor in office all district books and papers with all district moneys or other
property in the treasurer's possession.
15. Sign all legal documents as required by law.
16. Perform other duties required by law and/or assigned by the Board.
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this
section for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures
and/or forms for related information.
Revised: 01/18/1994; 10/14/2004
Cross Refs: DH, Bonded Employees and Officers
Legal Refs: §§ 105.273 - .276, 162.301, .303, .371, .391, .401, .441, .821, 163.081,
164.221, .181, 165.021, .061, .091, .101, .111, 291, RSMo.
St. Charles R-VI School District, St. Charles, Missouri
Top of Page