The Board of Education is committed to improving student learning opportunities for all students
in the district and authorizes a program for meeting the educational needs of identified gifted
students in an educational environment beyond that offered in the regular classroom. The Board of
Education will make every effort to provide the level of monetary support necessary to sustain the
The program will:
1. Provide a minimum of 150 minutes per week of contact time in which gifted program
personnel work exclusively with identified gifted students.
2. Include a systematic process for the identification and selection of gifted students at all grade
levels. The identification process will include alternative identification plans designed to
identify gifted students who are traditionally underidentified and underserved, such as
students with language differences, cultural differences, special educational needs and those
from families living in poverty.
3. Utilize instructional personnel with the appropriate certification for the gifted program
services they are providing.
4. Have class sizes and caseloads in accordance with Missouri Department of Elementary and
Secondary Education (DESE) guidelines.
5. Include activities beyond the level usually provided in regular school programs that
particularly contribute toward meeting the identified unmet needs of participating students.
The superintendent will designate a member of the district's professional staff to serve as the
coordinator of gifted education. The coordinator is responsible for:
1. Oversight of the gifted education program.
2. Completing and submitting the application for a gifted education program through Core Data
in a timely manner.
3. Reporting instructional positions and assignments of gifted program personnel through Core
Data in a timely manner.
4. Completing an annual evaluation report before June 30 of each year that will be available in
the central office.
5. Maintaining in the central office a description of the program's goals, learner objectives and
activities as well as the annual program evaluation report.
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this section
for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures and/or forms for
Revised: 06/08/2000; 05/12/2005; 07/10/2008
MSIP Refs: 7.2, 7.7, 8.8, 8.10, 8.12
Legal Refs: §§ 160.1990, .2000, 161.031, 162.720, RSMo.
5 C.S.R. 20-100.110
St. Charles R-VI School District, St. Charles, Missouri
Top of Page