In accordance with Board policy, only the superintendent and purchasing officer will have access to
and authority to use a district credit card. Other employees may receive a district purchasing card
upon district approval.
The following rules apply to the use of district credit or purchasing cards:
1. The district will set limitations on the use of all cards. The limitations will only be revised
with approval of the superintendent or purchasing officer.
2. Any employee or Board member using a district card shall first sign a card usage agreement
and receive training on procedures for card use.
3. Employees and Board members issued credit or purchasing cards, including the purchasing
officer and superintendent, must reconcile their statements every month. Documentation,
including receipts and the appropriate budget code, will be produced in a timely manner for
each item purchased. The purchasing officer will immediately confiscate the purchasing card
of any employee who fails to provide the mandated documentation when required and will
notify the superintendent.
4. The purchasing officer will examine all documentation prior to payment. If any purchase
was made by an employee contrary to law, Board policy or administrative procedures or was
inadequately documented, the purchasing officer will immediately confiscate the card and
will notify the superintendent. If a Board member's card is involved, the superintendent will
notify the Board president immediately. If the Board member in question is the president,
or if the president is not available, the vice president will be notified. The president or vice
president is authorized by policy to temporarily suspend a Board member's card until the
issue is presented to the Board.
5. District cards will not be used to purchase personal items, unauthorized items or items that
do not benefit the district.
6. Only the authorized employee or Board member to whom the card is issued may use the
7. All persons issued a district card must take all reasonable measures to protect the card against
damage, loss, theft or misuse. Any damage, loss, theft or misuse of the card must be reported
to the superintendent or purchasing officer immediately.
8. District employees and Board members will surrender all district cards when their
employment or term ends or upon demand by the district.
9. Examples of appropriate expenditures using district cards include:
► Office supplies.
► Computer parts and accessories.
► Food for use in curriculum.
► Authorized online purchases.
10. Examples of inappropriate expenditures using district cards include:
► Personal items.
► Cash advances.
► Building repairs.
► Telephone calls or cellular phone charges.
► Medical services.
► Legal services.
► Alcoholic beverages.
► Tobacco products.
► Gasoline for a privately owned vehicle.
► Leaving a gratuity that exceeds 20 percent.
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to review policies and/or forms for related information in this
St. Charles R-VI School District, St. Charles, Missouri
Top of Page