The Board of Education has established boundary lines for each attendance center in the school
district. Assignment of an individual student to a school will be based on the student’s legal
Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities will be assigned to the attendance center that provides the most appropriate
educational services for that student.
Request for Reassignment
1. Requests for student reassignment must be submitted by the parent/guardian by March 1 for
the following school year. Requests made after the March 1 deadline will only be considered
on an emergency basis or as the result of a change in residence. Requests for reassignment
made after March1 may only be granted for one (1) year. The student must attend his/her
actual assigned attendance center the next year or resubmit his/her request for reassignment.
2. Reassignment requests will be considered in order of receipt (first-come, first-served).
Active district employees may request that their child(ren) attend specific St. Charles
schools. These reassignment requests will be assigned a priority status during the
3. Approval of reassignment requests will be contingent upon available classroom space and
class size. For the purpose of considering reassignment requests, class size will be limited
to a size determined annually, that is less than or equal to the “desirable standard” as defined
under the Missouri School Improvement Program:
a. Grades K-2 20
b. Grades 3-4 22
c. Grades 5-8 (Reassignment not applicable)
d. Grades 9-12* 28
* In addition to the class size standards, one (1) high school’s total enrollment may not
exceed the other by more than 100 students.
Utilizing these standards, the superintendent or his/her designee will annually work with
building principals to determine the number of spaces available in each school for the
upcoming school year.
4. If a reassignment request is rejected due to class size limitations, the parent may ask to be
placed on a waiting list. Final decisions regarding all reassignment requests (received prior
to March 1) will be made by 4:00 p.m. March 31.
5. If a reassignment request is rejected, the decision may be appealed to the superintendent.
The superintendent’s decision may be appealed to the Board of Education.
6. If the reassignment is approved, parents and/or guardians will provide their child(ren)
transportation to the receiving school. The principal may request that the reassignment be
rescinded if the child(ren)’s attendance becomes irregular due to the loss of transportation.
7. Unless approved for one (1) year only, the reassigned student will be considered permanently
assigned and will attend the succeeding grades at that school building.
8. Each child may be reassigned to a school out of his/her home attendance area only once, but
may return to the home attendance area school at the end of any academic year.
9. Upon completion of the grade sequence at the reassigned elementary school and subsequent
completion of grades 5-8, the student will be assigned to the high school designated by
his/her legal residence or the student’s parents/guardians may submit a new application for
10. All approved high school reassignments must abide by the Missouri State High School
Activities Association (MSHSAA) regulations pertaining to extracurricular/athletic
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to review policies and/or forms for related information in this
St. Charles R-VI School District, St. Charles, Missouri
Top of Page